Anyone who is a smoker and trying to quit knows that it isn't an overnight success. The cases when people quit cold turkey are exceptionally rare, so you should never get down on yourself when you find that you are having an extraordinarily difficult time kicking the bad habit. However, no matter how difficult the road, there are several things that you can do to make it easier in order to not give into the temptation of smoking. In this post, we will look at five things you can do instead of smoking every time that you get the urge to do so.
- Go For a Run: There is no shame in literally running away from a temptation. As soon as you feel yourself pining for a cigarette, grab your running shoes and hit the pavement. Even if you aren't a big runner, you can go for a light jog around the neighborhood or somewhere a little more scenic like a park or hiking trail. Get outside and surround yourself with nature and fresh air far away from any cigarettes. After a brisk run or fast walk, reward yourself with a cold drink or other healthy treat.
- Spend an Afternoon at The Movie Theater: When you go to the movie theater, you obviously cannot smoke inside of the cinema. It also becomes difficult to get up during the movie just to go outside and get a few puffs of a cigarette. In a sense, you can "trap" yourself for a couple of hours and put all of your focus on the plot of the movie to escape the temptation of smoking.
- Find a New "Addiction": Certainly don't find an unhealthy addiction such as drinking, gambling, or anything else that could be deemed harmful. Instead find an "addiction" such as a new hobby that you love and can't seem to get enough of. Find something that you can do regularly throughout the week. This will give you something to look forward to and fill up your brain thinking about instead of cigarettes. New hobbies could include a cooking class, language class, or pottery class.
- Start Meditating and Doing Yoga: Cliche as it may sound, meditation actually does tremendous good for the health of person, regardless of whether they are a smoker or not. In the moments that you feel the overwhelming urge to smoke, whip out a yoga mat, plop down, and take up the art of meditation. Mix in a few yoga poses or a yoga flow and get in a bit of stretching and exercise. Yoga is a great way to clear the mind and get you centered and focused. You will feel exponentially more relaxed and zen even after just a quick fifteen minute yoga session.
- Go Shopping: Guilt is a huge thing that plagues many smokers when they are trying to quite smoking. It's almost inevitable that you will have a slip up during the process and although this is not an excuse, you shouldn't beat yourself up about it. When you have a particularly good day, reward yourself by splurging on something new. It could be something small like a specialty coffee drink or a new furniture piece that you've wanted to add to your home. When you feel anxious and stressed and like the only thing that will solve your problems is a cigarette, head to the grocery store to pick up some things you need or head to your favorite store to buy some small, affordable item that you have had your eye on for a while.
Looking for more advice on ways to quit smoking and maintain a healthy lifestyle? Download the eBook below for 5 nutrition ideas and tips for what to eat when you are craving sugary foods.